Friday, May 29, 2009

Retro Tau Yew Bak

This is my favorite childhood food. This bowl of black soya sauce pork can make me eat 2 bowls of rice. It is definitely not a good idea if I plan to be on a “diet mode”.

It has since become my kid’s favorite dish too. They will call it “mum’s very nice rice pork!”

The secret recipe is….. good quality Or Tau Yew (black / thick soya sauce). If you noticed, Hokkien dishes are mainly black or dark in color. If I can name them; Hokkien Mee, Hokkien Chicken Rice, Lobak, Braised Haisum(sea cucumber), Or Thau Kueh ( Yam cake) etc….. … even the Hokkien girls are darker than Cantonese… haha.

3 comments:

  1. Your Tau Yew Bak looks different from mine. My family's Tau Yew Bak comes in big chunks with hard boiled eggs. Can I have your recipe?

    I always use the Taiping brand of black soya sauce. Which brand do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. It was bigger chunk originally.This was altered according to my kids preferance.But, never with eggs.
    Recipe :
    In a kuali,put in 2 tbsp oil, stir in 1 whole garlic- deskin till brown.
    Pour in merinated Pork( with ight and dark soya sauce, 1 tbsp brown sugar, NO SALT PLS)
    Stir occationally till dry, add water, little by little and simmer till dried, add somemore water if you want more sauce) This will take abt 1/2 hr. The key is be patient in simmering. Don't add in too much water at one go and boil till the meat is too soft.)

    The kicap has no brand. It's from the lorry man that comes to my in laws house once a month. ( the things to look out is that the kicap must not be too salty, more to the sweet type and thick. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks very much! I'll try it one day. Your version is definitely different from mine cos I use star anise but never brown sugar! But cooking method is the same.

    ReplyDelete