Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Dinner Buns

A basket full of buns


Dinner Buns


Cheese Buns


We ate all these buns in one day.... believe it or not?


I’ve not touched bread dough for more than 10 years, simply because I was too lazy to bake. Re-calling those days when my kids were very young and my hands were full of chores, yet, I could spend time making bread?!?! I guess it was the distraction I needed.

Some of us in MSG(Mother Support Group) used to share recipes in baking. One session, I volunteered to demonstrate making “Whole Meal Loaf”. Those were the days where electric bread makers were not introduced yet; so, it was handmade from scratch. When it was done, the joy of smelling Freshly Baked Bread was indescribable, and then we proceed to savor it with coffee and tea and chit-chatting. How wonderful….

Last week, after one decade, I decided to try making bread again. I was quite doubtful at first when the dough was not rising; I guess I was too impatient as yeast needs time to rise. Surprisingly it was quite well done. All I need now is more practice and those sausage buns will look nicer in shapes!

Recipe for Dinner Buns above:

Ingredients:

1 ¼ cups of fresh milk

¼ warm water

40 gr butter

4 cups of high protein flour

3 tbsp sugar

1 tsp fine salt

2 tsp yeast.

Methods:

In a small bowl, place ¼ warm water and 1tsp of sugar. Mix well, add in yeast; let it create foam.

In a mixing bowl, put in all remaining ingredients plus the yeast solution above and make dough from it. Let it rise for about ½ hour or more. Punch down and make shapes accordingly. Set aside to rise for about ½ hour before baking.

Brush with eggs and sesame if preferred before baking.

2 comments: