Saturday, June 13, 2009

Birthday!!!

A Slice of coffee sponge cake with lemon cream cheese topping and almond nuts.

My birthday cake! Age : secret!

Yesterday was my birthday! I baked this coffee sponge with lemon zest cream cheese topping.The taste was good except I need to improve on the cake texture. It was rather "springy". I thought it would be better if it had more "body".....

My preference are butter cakes. I have very positive feedbacks about my butter cakes. However when I use either whipped cream or cream cheese topping, I will need to chill the cake as the topping taste better chilled. Unfortunately the texture of chilled butter cakes are more "compact" and "heavy".

So I decided to try baking sponge cake instead.... and so begins my journey of a thousand miles in sponge cake baking !

2 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday! Although I must say that it's very sporting of you to bake your own birthday cake! I'd be too lazy to bake a cake for my own birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! It all started when I was fed up with cakes that looks good but not the taste and have to pay a lot!
    At least my own produce is assured of it's freshness even if it doesn't taste fantastic!

    Thanks for your greetings.

    ReplyDelete